Friday, January 9, 2009

Magazine review

I am not a big magazine buyer, but I do enjoy the occasional Women's Weekly and if the cover looks interesting enough I do buy it.

When it comes to trashy gossip magazines, I will read them in the Doctor's surgery while waiting but not waste my money on it since it's my opinion most of the gossip regarding celebrities are made up or hear say and a run away story with out the full truth.

A week or so ago my son spend some time in a Newsagency and while waiting for him I browsed around as well, found a popular womens' health magazine and decided to buy it, cost $AU6.95.

Well firstly I will not mention the name of the magazine since I am aware that in this day and age people and/or companies are almost waiting for opportunities to sue others just for the sake of a quick buck, and I will also say that what I have to say about this magazine's January 2009 is my very own personal opinion. I just feel I have to get this off my chest.

Also, I presume this magazine is for ALL ages, not a teenager or young adult magazine because it's been around for years, the only obvious thing that stands out, I think, is that the publishing team must be obviously from a younger newer generation.

These are my issues:


1. A small article about women and weigth starts like this:

"Western women diet (and fail) about as often as newreader Sandra Sully stuffs up a sentence."
My opinion: Sandra Sully is a well known respected news reader, if this article writer has an issue with a (maybe) "stuff up" then let it be her own personal issue, why be so rude as to use some ones name in your article about weight. I found it highly offensive for Sandra's part.

2. An article about sun protection:

The heading of the article is: "Sun of a bitch" and one of the sub headings are "SPF ...WTF?"
My opinion: Why swear and be rude? As if we don't know what the abbreviation stands for, I mean if it is your personal diary, blog or what ever do what you want, but people actually buys this magazine and let it lie around at home on a coffee table or so, what if my little child is for example in a Year 1 or Year 2 level and learning how to read and starts spelling all this out? I found this highly rude from the article writer to not be considerate.

3. An article about exercises and what to do has a subtitle like this:

"Everyone (even your posh sister-in-law) has an inner athlete."
My opinion: If I was to try and judge/guess what's hidden in this sentence I would think things like, jealousy about a posh S.I.L? They don't get along and this article writer might be trying to get a stab in? Why write this bit of info in a so called professional article, my opinion is stop trying to be funny, it doesn't work or find a better line.

4. An article about relation ships and sharing income has a subtitle like this:

"It can't buy love ... but it can sure as hell make it tricky"
My opinion: Again using strong language in a magazine that any young child can pick up and read. I remember using magazines for my older two when they were younger to find pictures for school or art, practising reading etc. This sentence goes against any moral and valuable upbringing of a child, we don't use words like that in every day language, especially not if you want your article to carry some weight.

Now there were actually two more articles that had words in like "chug" instead of "drink", "yuck" instead of "I don't like" or "I dissaprove".

Personally I won't buy this magazine any longer, it reaked with unprofessionalism and language choice. I'm sure I can spend $6.95 on a more professional magazine that I'll also happily will let lie around in my house. For now, this one will go to the bottom of my bin.

And you're welcome to tell me I'm old fashioned, it will still be ok with me because it's still my values and I'll stick to them.