Friday, January 2, 2009

Starting the new year with a .... crash!

Hey so how has 2009 treated you so far? Any long lists of resolutions?


I started 'o9 on a battered and bruised note, crashed my bike today, ouchy! I haven't had a fall in a long long time and today I sort of just did not look where I was going and hit a curb. I sort of saw the crash coming, pulled the brakes hard and went .... over the handlebars on to the side of the path, crash! My hands were the first to hit the ground, then my head.

I am very lucky that I did not injure my writst or broke any, I had cycling gloves on so that helped a lot with the impact and I was again lucky that it happened right at a spot where there were dry grass on the side of the cycle path between me and the road. Funny that as I crashed my head on the ground I thought "oh so that's how it feels when a cycle helmet protects your head" it certainly did but as I landed I could feel my neck taking the impact pretty hard.

At the moment I sit with a stiff sore neck already, only 5 hours after the crash, palms feel a bit tender but not bruised at all but my leg copped the most as I went down and I have a nice long bruise along the inside of my leg. Luckily it did not broke through the skin so there was no blood either. Yes I am counting my stars because the last thing I want is to not be able to ride any more for a while. Years ago I crashed my bike as well and had a deep cut on the outside of my leg due to a screw that held my water rack and had to get 12 stithes so I'm very thankful for bruises only.

Will now have to see how my neck goes, I will probably be able to tell tomorrow, it might stiff up a bit more. At least the ride was good and it happened 2km's before the finish. My leg is stiff where it's bruised but ok, I'm actually quite proud of my "war scar", it's getting bluer by the hour, the pic was taken shortly after we got home and now it's a bit more visible.

Lesson for the new year: Look where you are going while on a bike and keep wearing your helmets, they do work!

Fresh after the crash.

About 5 hours later.

The next day .... pretty tender, actually lots!